Notify Message
Forums
Page 1
Search
#13365458 Jul 24, 2017 at 10:25 PM
Fleet Veterans
239 Posts
[9:13] Lazu@Basilisk9466: *The 130-T transwarp gate opens, and the sleek form of the Angelfire slips into orbit, badly damaged.*

[9:16] Lazu@Basilisk9466: 130-T control, this is Angelfire requesting permission to transport Captain Lukita over, and then... find a repair dock...

[9:23] Elle@Farmer42: An

[9:23] Elle@Farmer42: Angelfire, you're cleared for drydock 1482Alpha

[9:24] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Copy, control.

[9:24] Elle@Farmer42: You're clear to send the captain over

[9:25] Elle@Farmer42: Captain Lukita. Welcome home.

[9:25] Lazu@Basilisk9466: *She beams in, still in her usual 'excursion' gear, tired and with a nasty scar on her cheek which looks to be healing.* Elle. I hear Ten woke up.

[9:26] Elle@Farmer42: In a manner of speaking.

[9:26] Elle@Farmer42: We can't really examine her. She won't let anyone touch her. And she tends to stay in corners.

[9:27] Lazu@Basilisk9466: At least she's sane. I'll take it. What's the condition of the fleet?

[9:27] Elle@Farmer42: We're at or near 100%.

[9:28] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Good. We'll need it. I've located Unimatrix 20.

[9:29] Elle@Farmer42: You didn't happen to fin Ten's mother while you were looking, did you?

[9:29] Lazu@Basilisk9466: No. I was in the kind of places nobody sane wants to go.

[9:29] Elle@Farmer42: You've met S'anra, right?

[9:29] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Once, I think.

[9:30] Elle@Farmer42: She gave the galaxy Ten. Just think about that.

[9:31] Elle@Farmer42: But you said you've found the Unimatrix?

[9:31] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Yes. Has Ten reactivated herself, or am I still Intel actual?

[9:32] Elle@Farmer42: She can't be in a room with active microprocessors. So you're still in charge until we can figure something out.

[9:33] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Aside from suggesting the implant be removed... that's not really my department.

[9:33] Lazu@Basilisk9466: For now, get everyone together. We've got a surgical strike to conduct.

[9:33] Lazu@Basilisk9466: In... what day is it?

[9:34] Elle@Farmer42: We debated that. But we're still not sure how tied into her it is. It's "bespoke," so no one knows what removing it does. And it's a Tuesday.

[9:35] Dekan@kanekasier: Commander, Captain. *Nods to each in turn, before eyeing Lazu* I take it uh, that's your ship getting um, tractored into dry-dock?

[9:36] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Dekan. Yes, I'm afraid so. My contacts were initially somewhat hostile. We're hitting the Unimatrix in two day's time.

[9:37] Dekan@kanekasier: *Frowns, slightly* That... Might not be enough time to get the uh, Angelfire back to full. If it's as um, bad as it looks.

[9:37] Elle@Farmer42: What other information were you able to get for us?

[9:38] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I'll arrange alternatives. Come on, not here. Briefing room.

[9:38] Dekan@kanekasier: *Pushes out a breath, then follows.*

[9:40] Lazu@Basilisk9466: *She settles into a chair, letting out a slow breath.* Unimatrix 20 seems, odd as it is to say, to be some kind of Borg special ops. I would assume that's why we haven't seen them much before.

[9:41] Elle@Farmer42: It also goes a long way towards explaining why Ten settled so well into her particular set of skills.

[9:41] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I know, right? According to the datachip I acquired, while most Borg units simply hit whatever's in their path, 20 actively seeks out things that it believes will benefit the collective.

[9:42] Lazu@Basilisk9466: This Tal Shiar alliance is a logical extension of that, making use of a desperate and ingenious force to leverage long-term goals. I imagine that once the hybrid project is under way, and they've

[9:43] Lazu@Basilisk9466: acquired Ten as a test subject to perfect them, they'll simply assimilated the Tal Shiar and be on their way, with a new toy for the Collective.

[9:43] Elle@Farmer42: Speaking of the Tal Shiar.

[9:43] Dekan@kanekasier: That follows, as uh, horribly logical.

[9:44] Elle@Farmer42: The reason I asked about Ten's mother is that we haven't heard from her, but there ARE a lot of reports coming in about Tal Shiar cells being found dead.

[9:45] Lazu@Basilisk9466: No doubt trying to hunt from the other end. I went straight to the Borg source. It wasn't easy, but I managed to get Unimatrix 20's current location. It moves.

[9:45] Elle@Farmer42: Of course it does.

[9:45] Dekan@kanekasier: A Unimatrix that... Moves? *Dekan visibly shudders*

[9:45] Dekan@kanekasier: Bad enough that those uh, fortress complexes even exist, now they can move them?

[9:46] Lazu@Basilisk9466: More accurately, the Queen and command structure do. Because to an outsider, the Borg look uniform, nobody notices their coming and going amidst other Collective units.

[9:47] Lazu@Basilisk9466: This is good and bad. Good because in theory, it'll be a lot easier to conduct a surgical strike. Fewer fortifications than most Unimatrix complexes. Bad because we have a tight deadline.

[9:48] Lazu@Basilisk9466: So I decided to call in some help to make sure that we can finish the job once and for all. The kind of help that Talvius won't predict or have any hold over.

[9:48] Dekan@kanekasier: OMEGA force?

[9:49] Lazu@Basilisk9466: You're cute. At this point, I consider every part of the Alliance potentially compromised.

[9:50] Elle@Farmer42: *Squints at her* You didn't...

[9:50] Lazu@Basilisk9466: No, shortly before we're scheduled to arrive, Unimatrix 20 will be suffering from a transdimensional invasion.

[9:50] Dekan@kanekasier: ... Oh.

[9:50] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Once I explained that there was a section of the Collective benefitting from the knowledge of one of their rogues... they were Not Happy.

[9:52] Leina@Pheonyx: *Rushes into the conference room, a few PADDs in her hands* Sorry I'm late.*sits down quickly*

[9:52] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Under any other circumstances, I'd be happy to sit back and watch the fireworks. But while I trust the Undine to tear apart everything in sight, I won't be sure the Queen is dead until I see the body.

[9:52] Elle@Farmer42: They won't discriminate while we're there.

[9:52] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Hence. Surgical strike.

[9:52] Dekan@kanekasier: I'

[9:52] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Of course not. But as long as we're careful not to get in their way, they won't actively chase us. They have bigger fish to fry.

[9:53] Dekan@kanekasier: That's still going to uh, complicate things. Staying out of their way is one thing, but this um, sounds like we might have to actively get in their way.

[9:54] Dekan@kanekasier: They uh, have to know about the Queen as well. Won't they um, be gunning for it as well?

[9:54] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I weighed up the odds of taking on a Unimatrix alone, and of potentially getting caught in a Borg-Undine crossfire. The latter seemed better.

[9:54] Leina@Pheonyx: That does make sense.

[9:55] Elle@Farmer42: In case of emergency, run like hell?

[9:55] Dekan@kanekasier: *Shakes his head* We're going to get clobbered, even if uh, things go well.

[9:57] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I didn't say this was going to be an easy run. But the chance to cripple this alliance, end the hybrid project, and cripple a Borg spec ops division... too good to pass up on.

[9:58] Elle@Farmer42: That's what has me worried.

[9:58] Leina@Pheonyx: How do we plan on proceeding? Beam a team in to handle the Queen while they're distracted by the Undine?

[9:59] Lazu@Basilisk9466: *She nods.* That's the gameplan.

[9:59] Dekan@kanekasier: We'll have to get in close, first. Without uh, drawing too much fire.

[9:59] Dekan@kanekasier: Then we can beam in, and um... "handle" a borg Queen. And all that uh, is going to imply.

[10:00] Leina@Pheonyx: Then I will make sure that the edge of Dragon's Tooth is sharp.

[10:00] Lazu@Basilisk9466: That's one reason I've set zero hour for after the initial Undine assault. With the level of radiation and debris around, it'll be easier to hide.

[10:01] Dekan@kanekasier: Assuming we survive, we'll have to um, beat feet I think is the phrase, before the Undine decide we're more of a threat than the uh, uncoordinated and probably failing borg around us.

[10:02] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I begged a favour from the Cooperative. We'll have a Borg control sequencer with us. Useless under normal circumstances, but without the Queen, it'll give us a brief window of control over the Borg

[10:03] Lazu@Basilisk9466: transwarp network. It'll give us a quick exit once the mission is complete, all being well.

[10:03] Dekan@kanekasier: ... You know, that's um, one group I don't think I mind oweing a favor too.

[10:05] Lazu@Basilisk9466: If we have to bug out before reaching out goal... well, as I said, there'll be a lot of debris and radiation to hide in while we spin up transwarp the old fashioned way.

[10:06] Elle@Farmer42: So, who's going to tell Ten we're about to blitzkreig a unimatrix?

[10:06] Dekan@kanekasier: *Sighs* Still... Borg, Tal'Shiar, now Undine... That's a uh, lot of badguys.

[10:07] Lazu@Basilisk9466: It's what my old tactical instructor would call a 'target rich environment'. I'll handle Ten.

[10:07] Dekan@kanekasier: *He snorts, adopting a very small, wry and dry smile, glancing at Lazu* You didn't happent to uh, find some Elachi in the area to join the free for all, did you?

[10:07] Lazu@Basilisk9466: *deadpan* That was my next call.

[10:08] Elle@Farmer42: Returning to Ten, is the suit ready, Commander?

[10:09] Dekan@kanekasier: *Shudders, off track for a moment* The, uh, suit? Oh! Um, well, yes. After a fashion.

[10:09] Elle@Farmer42: After a fashion?

[10:09] Dekan@kanekasier: I uh, fabricated a second one to take apart. It's... Fascinating. But I uh, I'm curious why they made it. Or, even, who made it.

[10:10] Elle@Farmer42: Can you elaborate?

[10:11] Dekan@kanekasier: Well, short version? It's uh, more or less what we thought; an interface suit.

[10:11] Dekan@kanekasier: But they stuffed the um, interface system into a fully functional suit of armor. Not a uh, bad one either.

[10:12] Elle@Farmer42: Were we right about the signal filtration?

[10:12] Leina@Pheonyx: Perhaps to protect the wearer and operate in a vacuum.

[10:12] Dekan@kanekasier: Yeah, it does that too.

[10:13] Elle@Farmer42: *Looks at Lazu* Do we try giving it to her? At the least, being able to get her vitals would be helpful.

[10:13] Dekan@kanekasier: The ah, real question for me... *Glances off to the side, behind Lazu for a moment* Uh...

[10:13] Lazu@Basilisk9466: That's her call.

[10:15] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Yes, Commander Dekan?

[10:15] Dekan@kanekasier: Um... Sorry, I uh... Thought I saw... *Mentally shakes himself* The question for me is why the borg decided they needed a plug suit.

[10:16] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I'm inclined to put this one on the Tal Shiar.

[10:17] Elle@Farmer42: Wireless. In a suit, with that new signal implant, she can move around.

[10:17] Elle@Farmer42: Especially useful if your inegrated "pilot" isn't expendable.

[10:18] Dekan@kanekasier: I suppose so... Probably uh, wishful thinking on the um, Tal'Shiar's part.

[10:18] Elle@Farmer42: Remember what happened last time Ten plugged into one of these. She ate an EPS overload and it melted her brain.

[10:19] Lazu@Basilisk9466: I'm sure that the final plan, as far as the Borg are concerned, is to go without a suit. They wouldn't see a problem with that kind of total connection.

[10:19] Lazu@Basilisk9466: The way I see it, if it makes her functional until we can remove the implant, go for it. But it's still her call.

[10:20] Dekan@kanekasier: We could uh, probably work an iteration or two of it as well.

[10:20] Elle@Farmer42: I'll let you talk to her about it when you brief her.

[10:20] Dekan@kanekasier: I uh... *Nods* Okay, that'll um, that'll work.

[10:21] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Sounds good. *She touches her cheek tenderly, winces.* No time like the present. Unless anyone else has anything?

[10:21] Dekan@kanekasier: How uh, many of my repair teams do you want working the Angelfire? And um, should I send any of my hazard teams first?

[10:21] Elle@Farmer42: No. Just be sure you don't take any elextronics with you

[10:23] Lazu@Basilisk9466: Angelfire's low priority. Just give her whatever you can spare. We patched up the holes well enough, shouldn't be difficult work. Just time consuming.

[10:23] Lazu@Basilisk9466: *She gets up.* Carry on, then.

[10:24] Dekan@kanekasier: *Salutes*

[10:24] Leina@Pheonyx: *Nods then heads out* May the Goddess watch over us all.

+0
Page 1